Epilepsy; Magnetic Resonance Imaging; Neoplasms by Site; Neurosurgery; Radiology; Seizures; Stroke; Vascular Malformations
Magnetic resonance (MR) imaging plays an important role in the evaluation of epilepsy. Human epilepsy is associated with many types of conditions affecting the brain. Thus, the study of epilepsy with MR runs the gamut of cerebral disorders. These include tumors, vascular malformations, hippocampal sclerosis, migration disorders, perinatal insults, infections, trauma, and stroke. MR imaging is particularly important for the patient with medically intractable epilepsy (approximately 30% of epileptics) who may be a candidate for surgical control of their epilepsy, because MR usually detects the responsible lesion and guides decision making and surgical management. Current epilepsy research includes the investigation of MR imaging in the surgical epilepsy group.
Specialized Terms: Imaging of epilepsy, Cortical dysplasias, Temporal lobe anatomy, and Anatomic variants
Extensive Research Description
My research has studied MR Imaging of patients with seizures, including imaging of surgical epilepsy group, normal brain variations, temporal lobe embryology and anatomy, post-operative brain changes, hippocampal sclerosis, focal cortical dysplasia, and brain malformations. Current research investigates whether machine learning techniques will improve imaging detection of brain disorders underlying epilepsy.
Other research investigations involve MR imaging of pituitary anomalies and disorders.
I have collaborated with many groups investigating the hippocampus or temporal lobe, which included publications on changes in these anatomy sites with PTSD, child abuse, and language activation.
- Long-Term Surgical Outcomes of ACTH-Antibody Assay-Guided Transsphenoidal Surgical Resection of Pituitary Adenomas in Cushing Disease 99. Erfe JM, Perry A, McClaskey J, Inzucchi SE, James WS, Eid T, Bronen RA, Mahajan A, Huttner A, Santos F, Spencer DD. Long-Term Surgical Outcomes of ACTH-Antibody Assay-Guided Transsphenoidal Surgical Resection of Pituitary Adenomas in Cushing Disease. Journal of Neurosurgery
Whole exome sequencing identifies WDR62 mutations in severe brain malformations
Bilguvar K, Ozturk AK, Louvi A, et. al. Whole exome sequencing identifies WDR62 mutations in severe brain malformations. NATURE 2010:467 (doi:10.1038/nature09327) pp 207-210
Frequency, prognosis, and surgical treatment of MRI structural abnormalities in childhood epilepsy
Berg AT, Mathern GW, Bronen RA, Fulbright RF, DiMario F, Testa FM, Levy SR. Frequency, prognosis, and surgical treatment of MRI structural abnormalities in childhood epilepsy BRAIN 2009 Jul 28 [Epub]
MRI of epilepsy: Overview with emphasis on practical issues
Vattipally V, Bronen RA. MRI of epilepsy: Overview with emphasis on practical issues. Radiology Clinics of North America 2006
MRI of the Temporal Stem: Anatomic Dissection Tractography of the Uncinate Fasciculus, Inferior Occipitofrontal Fasciculus, and Meyer's Loop of the Optic Radiation
Kier EL, Staib L, Davis L, Bronen RA. MRI of the Temporal Stem: Anatomic Dissection Tractography of the Uncinate Fasciculus, Inferior Occipitofrontal Fasciculus, and Meyer's Loop of the Optic Radiation. AJNR 25:677-691, 2004
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Erfe JM, Perry A, McClaskey J, Inzucchi SE, James WS, Eid T, Bronen RA, Mahajan A, Huttner A, Santos F, Spencer D: Long-term outcomes of tissue-based ACTH-antibody assay-guided transsphenoidal resection of pituitary adenomas in Cushing disease. J Neurosurg. 2017 Oct 13; 2017 Oct 13. PMID: 29027854
- Ghoshal S, Bronen RA, McCarthy PL, Pels SG, Beslow LA: Acute Stroke in a Girl With an Absent Radial Pulse. Pediatr Neurol. 2016 Sep; 2016 Jun 11. PMID: 27436537
- Malhotra A, Kalra VB, Wu X, Grant R, Bronen RA, Abbed KM: Imaging of lumbar spinal surgery complications. Insights Imaging. 2015 Dec; 2015 Oct 2. PMID: 26432098
- Barak T, Kwan KY, Louvi A, Demirbilek V, Saygı S, Tüysüz B, Choi M, Boyacı H, Doerschner K, Zhu Y, Kaymakçalan H, Yılmaz S, Bakırcıoğlu M, Cağlayan AO, Oztürk AK, Yasuno K, Brunken WJ, Atalar E, Yalçınkaya C, Dinçer A, Bronen RA, Mane S, Ozçelik T, Lifton RP, Sestan N, Bilgüvar K, Günel M: Recessive LAMC3 mutations cause malformations of occipital cortical development. Nat Genet. 2011 Jun; 2011 May 15. PMID: 21572413
- Goodman TR, Forman HP, Stein S, Bronen R, Brink JA: An "a la carte" academic radiology compensation plan: something for everyone. J Am Coll Radiol. 2010 Nov. PMID: 21040871
- Bilgüvar K, Oztürk AK, Louvi A, Kwan KY, Choi M, Tatli B, Yalnizoğlu D, Tüysüz B, Cağlayan AO, Gökben S, Kaymakçalan H, Barak T, Bakircioğlu M, Yasuno K, Ho W, Sanders S, Zhu Y, Yilmaz S, Dinçer A, Johnson MH, Bronen RA, Koçer N, Per H, Mane S, Pamir MN, Yalçinkaya C, Kumandaş S, Topçu M, Ozmen M, Sestan N, Lifton RP, State MW, Günel M: Whole-exome sequencing identifies recessive WDR62 mutations in severe brain malformations. Nature. 2010 Sep 9; 2010 Aug 22. PMID: 20729831
- Bilguvar K, Bydon M, Bayrakli F, Ercan-Sencicek AG, Bayri Y, Mason C, DiLuna ML, Seashore M, Bronen R, Lifton RP, State M, Gunel M: A novel syndrome of cerebral cavernous malformation and Greig cephalopolysyndactyly. Laboratory investigation. J Neurosurg. 2007 Dec. PMID: 18154020
- Basso M, Gelernter J, Yang J, MacAvoy MG, Varma P, Bronen RA, van Dyck CH: Apolipoprotein E epsilon4 is associated with atrophy of the amygdala in Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol Aging. 2006 Oct; 2005 Sep 22. PMID: 16182410
- Cicchetti D, Bronen R, Spencer S, Haut S, Berg A, Oliver P, Tyrer P: Rating scales, scales of measurement, issues of reliability: resolving some critical issues for clinicians and researchers. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2006 Aug. PMID: 16909062
- Vattipally VR, Bronen RA: MR imaging of epilepsy: strategies for successful interpretation. Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am. 2006 May. PMID: 16873012
- Basso M, Yang J, Warren L, MacAvoy MG, Varma P, Bronen RA, van Dyck CH: Volumetry of amygdala and hippocampus and memory performance in Alzheimer's disease. Psychiatry Res. 2006 Apr 30; 2006 Mar 9. PMID: 16524704
- Vattipally VR, Bronen RA: MR imaging of epilepsy: strategies for successful interpretation. Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2004 Aug. PMID: 15324853
- Cohen-Gadol AA, Ozduman K, Bronen RA, Kim JH, Spencer DD: Long-term outcome after epilepsy surgery for focal cortical dysplasia. J Neurosurg. 2004 Jul. PMID: 15255252
- Kier EL, Staib LH, Davis LM, Bronen RA: MR imaging of the temporal stem: anatomic dissection tractography of the uncinate fasciculus, inferior occipitofrontal fasciculus, and Meyer's loop of the optic radiation. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2004 May. PMID: 15140705
- Kier EL, Staib LH, Davis LM, Bronen RA: Anatomic dissection tractography: a new method for precise MR localization of white matter tracts. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2004 May. PMID: 15140704
- Bremner JD, Bronen RA, De Erasquin G, Vermetten E, Staib LH, Ng CK, Soufer R, Charney DS, Innis RB: Development and Reliability of a Method for Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging for the Definition of Regions of Interest for Positron Emission Tomography. Clin Positron Imaging. 1998 Jun. PMID: 14516589